Career Vacancy : National Logistics Officer Job Description
Employment Opportunity: UN World Food Programme Job Recruitment
UN World Food Programme – Somalia
Vacancy Announcement No. 003/2019
Post Title: National Logistics Officer (Supply Chain Coordination)
Contract type: Fixed Term
Post Grade: NOB
Duty Station: Nairobi
Duration: 1 year (initial)
Date of Issue: 8th January 2019
Closing Date: 21st January 2019
Organizational Background: The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of
WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme Somalia activities include food assistance for relief, emergency school feeding, nutrition and food assistance for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers.
This position is open to qualified Kenyan candidates.
Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Logistics Officer (Head of the Unit), the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Contribute towards the development of logistics projects design and plans to ensure supply chain operations that engage and stimulate local capacity;
- Support or manage logistics projects and operations activities following standard processes;
- Collect and analyze date and market information through research and networking to recommend actions to senior staff to improve performance of logistics projects and operations;
- Conduct regular financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to senior staff to optimize use of available funds;
- Contribute to consolidation and preparation of projects and operations design, planning and coordinate with relevant unit, including checking applicability of designs/solutions and relevant technology;
- Contribute to supply chain by providing technical support and guidance to other Country Offices particularly, services and divisions for food systems projects;
- Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries;
- Collate date and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting, including key Performance Indicators and support a WFP-Wide view of logistics activities that enables informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders;
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners through trainings;
- Participate in the on-going review of internal processes and procedures and identify ways to increase the day -to-day efficiencies;
- Participate in assessments, studies and research to allow WFP identify optimal mode or response and operations configurations towards improving food security and nutrition in Somalia;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education: Advanced University degree in Transport Economics, Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, Business Management or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
Experience: At least three or more years of professional experience in monitoring and managing logistics operations and/or experience in commercial or humanitarian transportation sectors and/or experience monitoring and reporting on transport and freight market conditions and trends.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English is a requirement.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated experience in commercial or humanitarian transportation sectors, including dealing with shipments and clearing imports/exports;
- Monitoring and reporting on transport and freight market conditions and trends;
- Knowledge in coordinating procurement and transportation processes with other units/ teams;
- Experience in warehouse and commodity management;
- Proficiency in using various information management systems, databases and software;
- Hands-on relevant experience in the UN or INGOs is desirable.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications through E-Recruitment using the following link:
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.