Career Vacancy : Norwegian Refugee Council Job Description
Employment Opportunity : Livelihoods & Food Security Assistant Job Recruitment
Norwegian Refugee Council
Livelihoods & Food Security Assistant – Kakuma
(Kenya Nationals Only)
Ref. nr.: 4056912373
The NRC East Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme. NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007. NRC has WASH, Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counselling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab and Kakuma.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
The Project Assistant is responsible for the day-to-day implementation of the Livelihoods and Food Security (LFS) activities in Turkana West, Turkana County, Kenya (Kakuma camp, Kalobeyei settlement and surrounding host communities).
This includes supporting the delivery of NRC’s planned market-based skills training in selected value chains (including online/digital skills and energy) and entrepreneurship and business development training, mentorship and support to refugee and host community youth and local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in partnership with other organisations and private sector actors.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Assist with the implementation of the programme portfolio according to plan of action.
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management.
- Ensure proper filing of documents.
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the programme function.
- Conduct project awareness among stakeholders at community level in Kalobeyei settlement Kakuma camps and surrounding communities.
- Conduct beneficiaries’ mobilisation and registration based on the targeting criteria for a particular activity or project.
- Monitor the freelancing workspaces on a daily basis in to ensure they are operating at optimum standard and capacity.
- Regularly monitor activities of other youth groups and SMEs and provide follow up support in relation to training, inputs and post-training/distribution monitoring.
- Support identified NRC partners and private sector actors engaged in the delivery of their activities.
- Contribute in preparation of training content and materials and in the delivery of such trainings.
- Carry out distribution of materials or cash grants to registered beneficiaries and complete distribution lists in accordance with NRC’s beneficiary distribution lists and cash-based intervention (CBI) standard operating procedures (SOP). Facilitate and gather information on market systems, market analysis and mapping in Turkana West.
- Facilitate and strengthen income generating activities (IGA) of target groups at Kalobeyei and Kakuma.
- Plan, coordinate and collaborate closely with Education and ICLA teams regarding the skills training, legal assistance and documentation support (or other support) required by LFS target groups.
- Collect data required for the projects’ output and outcome monitoring system. Write weekly/monthly progress reports.
- Any other reasonable duties identified by supervisor.
- Experience running Livelihoods or Food Security projects in a humanitarian/recovery context, with a particular focus on market-based income generation activities.
- Previous experience from working in complex and/or protracted displacement situations is desirable
- Data collection experience, preferably including market assessments.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English both written and spoken
- A diploma or bachelor in business management or related subject
- At least 1 year’s experience in working in livelihoods and food security field. Knowledge of the local context an asset.
- Knowledge of community mobilisation and effective information sharing methodologies.
- Knowledge of Juba Arabic, Somali, Kiswahili and other local languages would be an advantage.
Education field: Social science
Education level: College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
Duty station: Kakuma
Contract period is up to December 2019 with possibility of extension.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Kakuma.
How to Apply
Visit www.nrc.no to apply online
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Food Security
- Role: Assistant
Deadline for application: 16/04/2019
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.