Career Vacancy : National Consultant Job Description
Employment Opportunity : International Trade Centre Job Recruitment
International Trade Centre (ITC)
Terms of Reference
Professional and Life Skills Development Officer (National Consultant) – Dadaab, for Refugee Employment and Skills Initiative – Kenya
Division of Country Programmes (DCP / OD)
Duration: 6 months, extension possible
Duty station: Dadaab Town, Kenya
Period: 01 September 2019 – 29 February 2020
About ITC: The International Trade Centre (ITC) is a joint agency of the United Nations and the World Trade Organization, focusing in particular on developing the export capabilities of small and medium-sized businesses in developing and transition economies. ITC is 100% “Aid for Trade”, supporting trade that delivers inclusive and sustainable development results.
About the assignment: The Refugee Employment & Skills Initiative (RESI) deploys innovative ways to address livelihoods development in protracted humanitarian situations. The RESI approach harnesses productive potential and works towards building market connections for the benefit of refugees and local communities to enhance shared growth.
Central to RESI’s approach is its two-fold intervention; promoting the development of commercially valuable skills for refugees and host communities alike while supporting local small and medium size enterprises (SMEs) in creating value and employment in the host countries through increased national, regional and international business.
The RESI Phase I project was launched in Dadaab in 2017 and worked with refugees and host community members to support them to build digital skills for online freelancing and then connect to international markets and jobs. RESI Dadaab Phase II will continue to build on this work, targeting new freelancing markets and working to enhance the business ecosystem of Dadaab.
A key component of this work is the business and entrepreneurship development support provided for both freelancers in training and local micro, small and medium sized enterprises (MSMEs).
After joining the RESI team, the RESI Professional and Life Skills Development Officer will provide localized trainings using ITC methodologies and content for professional, business and life skills development and mentorship. The consultant will provide mentorship workshops for freelancers, entrepreneurs and small businesses in Dadaab in order to improve their capacities and contribute to building a competitive and inclusive business environment.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The National Consultant will work under the overall supervision of the ITC Project Manager, RESI – Kenya.
The National Consultant will:
- Assess training needs and requirement of various individuals within the project (freelancers, entrepreneurs etc.);
- Adapt professional and life skills development trainings to Dadaab context and target individuals and support emerging mentorship related activities;
- Review equipment and mentorship spaces as needed and support the organization of professional and life skills mentorship activities;
- Provide trainings and interactive mentorship sessions to local freelancers and businesses on professional and life skills;
- Collect feedback from participants and provide inputs to Mentorship Coordinator in order to tailor the RESI mentorship program;
- Support the monitoring and reporting of professional and life skills mentorship activities by collecting data and communications materials from mentorship activities and participants.
Qualifications, Competencies and experience required
- Bachelor’s degree in Sociology, Psychology, Social Development, or Business Administration, or any other relevant area
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working on life skills or professional mentorship
- Past experience working on a project similar in scope and mission
- High proficiency in computer skills particularly MS-Office
- Strong research, analytical and reporting skills
- Ability to work independently, with flexibility and deliver results under time pressure
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of the refugee context in Kenya, specifically in Dadaab desirable
- Self-motivated with genuine interest and willingness to share skills, knowledge and expertise to unleash the potential of mentees
Languages: Written and spoken fluency in English and Swahili. Knowledge of Somali a plus.
Qualified applicants may submit their CV and a cover letter to Katherine Schlinder at email@example.com.
Applications close at midnight EAT on 10 July 2019.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.